The Washington State Department of Ecology (Ecology) plans to remove the WA DOT Signals Maintenance site (Site) from the Hazardous Sites List. The Site is located at 3700 9th Avenue South, Seattle WA. The Site is currently a traffic signal maintenance facility. It was a former refueling facility for DOT fleet vehicles.
Ecology completed a Site Hazard Assessment (SHA) in 2015. The resulting SHA rank for the Site was 5, based on a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 represents the greatest potential impact to human health and the environment.
The owner of the Property, the Washington State Department of Transportation conducted a cleanup action during the underground storage tank (UST) removal in 2015. The cleanup activities included:
• Excavation of the three USTs
• Disposal of 562 tons of contaminated soil at a permitted facility;
• Collection of five soil samples at the bottom and sidewalls of the excavation to confirm removal of all contaminated soil.
• Additional testing to confirm soil and groundwater does not exceed state cleanup standards.
Ecology recommends a No Further Action. The Site does not pose a threat to human health or the environment The site meets state cleanup standards. Ecology is proposing to remove the Site from the Hazardous Sites List (HSL).
Ecology invites comments on the:
• Draft No Further Action Letter
• Updated Site Hazard Assessment
Send your written comments to Tamara Cardona. Ecology will review and respond to all comments received. The proposed delisting may be modified based on your comments.